Tyler Seguin‘s surgery to repair a torn labrum in his hip has been delayed, and the Dallas Stars forward would be out for up to another month of the NHL season if it starts as planned on Jan. 1, 2021.
“We anticipate he’s having it next week,” Stars general manager Jim Nill said Thursday. “Because of the (coronavirus) pandemic, where he’s having the surgery, there are certain restrictions, so we’ve had to work around some of those things. Some surgeries have been canceled, so he hasn’t had it yet. We’ll have another call here, I hope, next week, and I can update everyone on things moving forward.”
Nill said Oct. 8 that he expected Seguin to have the surgery in “the next two or three weeks, let’s say Nov. 1,” and require four months to recover.
“The tough part with all of this is that nobody knows the time frame,” Nill said earlier this month. “We don’t know the start of the season, so that’s why we want to get it done as soon as possible.”
Seguin, who was also dealing with knee problems, missed one game during the round-robin portion of the Stanley Cup Qualifiers, a 2-1 shootout win against the St. Louis Blues on Aug. 9. But he did not miss another postseason game for Dallas, which advanced to the Stanley Cup Final for the first time in 20 years and lost to the Tampa Bay Lightning in six games. He scored 13 points (two goals, 11 assists) averaging 18:31 of ice time in 26 postseason games but was limited to six assists in his final 15 games.
Seguin has not missed a regular-season game since the 2015-16 season. The 28-year-old has been a top-two scorer for the Stars in each of his seven seasons with them and led Dallas with 50 points (17 goals, 33 assists) in 69 games last season. He has 635 points (279 goals, 356 assists) in 741 games for the Stars and Boston Bruins.
On Oct. 8, Nill went through the Stars’ injury list, which included goalies Ben Bishop (recovering from knee surgery) and Anton Khudobin (numbness in hand), and forwards Jamie Benn (shoulder injury), Blake Comeau (separated shoulder) and Roope Hintz (fractured ankle). Khudobin had surgery to fix a nerve issue in his right arm Oct. 7 and said Oct. 9 he expects to be ready for training camp.
Nill said at the time that the Stars expect ever player who was injured, except for Seguin, to be healthy in time for the start of the season.
Rick Bowness agreed to a two-year contract Thursday to return as Stars coach. The 65-year-old was promoted after Jim Montgomery was fired Dec. 10, 2019, for unprofessional conduct. The Stars were 20-13-5 in 38 games under Bowness.