The Carolina Panthers secondary got a boost Wednesday as Stephon Gilmore took the practice field with his new teammates for the first time.
Panthers coach Matt Rhule said Monday that the four-time Pro Bowl cornerback and former AP NFL Defensive Player of the Year, eligible to come off the PUP list this week, should make his debut on Sunday for a road game against the New York Giants. The Panthers already have the No. 2 pass defense in the NFL, allowing just 196.8 yards per game.
The Panthers traded for Gilmore earlier this month for a 2023 sixth-round draft pick; the New England Patriots had placed Gilmore on the PUP list, then dealt him to Carolina in lieu of releasing him. The acquisition was made to help fill the void left by injured rookie Jaycee Horn. The Panthers’ first-round draft pick broke three bones in his foot last month, was placed on injured reserve and might not return this season.
- Buffalo Bills tight end Dawson Knox is expected to miss a few weeks, per NFL Network’s Mike Garafolo.
- The Philadelphia Eagles designated tight end Tyree Jackson and safety K’Von Wallace to return from injured reserve. Offensive tackle Lane Johnson, who’s missed the past three games due to a personal matter, practiced Wednesday in a limited capacity.
- The Cleveland Browns announced quarterback Case Keenum will start Thursday against the Broncos. Quarterback Baker Mayfield (shoulder), running back Nick Chubb (calf) and cornerback A.J. Green (shoulder/groin) have been ruled out. Wide receiver Odell Beckham (shoulder), offensive tackles Jack Conklin (knee) and Jedrick Wills (ankle), defensive end Jadeveon Clowney (ankle/chest/knee), defensive tackle Malik Jackson (knee), linebacker Malcolm Smith (abdomen), center JC Tretter (knee) and linebacker Mack Wilson (calf) are questionable.
- The Baltimore Ravens designated tight end Nick Boyle to return from IR. Coach John Harbaugh said running back Latavius Murray is day to day with an ankle sprain. Wide receiver Sammy Watkins (hamstring), defensive back Jimmy Smith, cornerback Tavon Young, linebacker Justin Houston, center Bradley Bozeman (back) and offensive tackle Alejandro Villanueva (knee) did not practice. Linebacker Patrick Queen (thigh) was limited.
- The Cincinnati Bengals cleared offensive tackle Hakeem Adeniji to return to practice. Defensive end Trey Hendrickson (shoulder) was limited Wednesday.
- Houston Texans coach David Culley said rookie quarterback Davis Mills will start Sunday versus the Cardinals, and the team hopes Tyrod Taylor (hamstring) will return to practice this week. The Texans activated defensive lineman Ross Blacklock from the reserve/COVID-19 list.
- New York Jets linebacker C.J. Mosley (hamstring) did not practice Wednesday. Safety Marcus Maye (ankle) was limited.
- The Tennessee Titans designated offensive linemen Daniel Munyer and Larrell Murchison to return from IR. Wide receiver A.J. Brown (illness), wide receiver Julio Jones (hamstring) and offensive tackle Taylor Lewan (concussion) did not practice Wednesday.
- Indianapolis Colts guard Quenton Nelson and wide receiver Dezmon Patmon were designated to return from IR. Wide receiver T.Y. Hilton (quad), linebacker Darius Leonard (ankle/knee) and defensive end Kwity Paye (hamstring) did not practice Wednesday.
- Kansas City Chiefs wide receiver Tyreek Hill (quad), linebacker Anthony Hitchens (triceps) and guard Joe Thuney (rest) did not practice Wednesday. Defensive end Chris Jones (wrist), tight end Travis Kelce (neck), safety Tyrann Mathieu (thumb/toe) and cornerback Charvarius Ward (quad) were limited.
- Green Bay Packers coach Matt LaFleur said offensive tackle David Bakhtiari would practice Wednesday for the first time since tearing his ACL last December. Cornerback Kevin King (shoulder) was a limited participant in practice Wednesday. Linebacker Preston Smith (oblique) was out.
- The Seattle Seahawks claimed quarterback Jacob Eason off waivers from the Colts.
- Denver Broncos quarterback Teddy Bridgewater (foot/quad), offensive tackle Garett Bolles (knee) and safety Caden Sterns (illness) are questionable for Thursday’s game versus the Browns.
- Carolina Panthers coach Matt Rhule said linebacker Shaq Thompson is doubtful to play Sunday against the Giants and that guard Pat Elflein had a setback with his hamstring injury and and isn’t expected to return this week.
- San Francisco 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan said he’s optimistic quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo will be able to start Sunday against the Colts. Garoppolo, who missed the Niners’ last game with a calf strain, was limited in practice Wednesday. Quarterback Trey Lance (knee), defensive tackle Javon Kinlaw (knee) and offensive tackle Trent Williams (elbow/ankle) did not practice.
- Atlanta Falcons linebacker Dante Fowler (knee) did not practice Wednesday.
- New England Patriots linebacker Dont’a Hightower (elbow/ankle), cornerbacks Jonathan Jones (shoulder) and defensive lineman Deatrich Wise (knee) did not practice. Kicker Nick Folk, guard Shaq Mason (abdomen) and linebacker Kyle Van Noy (groin) were limited.
- The Las Vegas Raiders placed safety Roderic Teamer on IR. Raiders quarterback Derek Carr was listed on the injury report with a finger injury, but was a full participant. Wide receiver Henry Ruggs III (knee) was a limited participant.
- Chicago Bears wide receiver Allen Robinson (ankle), linebacker Khalil Mack (foot) and defensive tackle Akiem Hicks (groin) did not practice Wednesday.
- New York Giants running back Saquon Barkley (ankle), wide receiver Kenny Golladay (knee), wide receiver John Ross (hamstring), tight end Kaden Smith (knee) and wide receiver Kadarius Toney (ankle) did not practice. Wide receiver Darius Slayton (hamstring) was limited. Linebacker Elerson Smith was designated to return from IR.
- Miami Dolphins quarterback Jacoby Brissett (hamstring), Xavien Howard (shoulder/groin), offensive tackle Austin Jackson (shoulder), cornerback Byron Jones (Achilles/groin), linebacker Jaelan Phillips (ankle), quarterback Tua Tagovailoa (ribs) and wide receiver Preston Williams (groin) were all limited in Wednesday’s walkthrough.
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers wide receiver Antonio Brown (ankle), linebacker Lavonte David (ankle), tight end Rob Gronkowski (ribs), tight end O.J. Howard (ankle) and linebacker Jason Pierre-Paul (shoulder/hand) did not practice.
- Arizona Cardinals running back Chase Edmonds (shoulder) and linebacker Zaven Collins (shoulder) were limited in practice.
- Washington Football Team running back Antonio Gibson (shin), wide receiver Terry McLaurin (hamstring) and wide receiver Curtis Samuel (groin) did not practice. Defensive lineman Jonathan Allen (knee) was limited.
- The Detroit Lions designated defensive end Da’Shawn Hand to return from IR.
- The Los Angeles Chargers are expected to sign wide receiver Andre Roberts, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported.
- The Washington Football Team signed kicker Chris Blewitt to the active roster and wide receiver Kelvin Harmon to the practice squad.
- The Detroit Lions signed wide receiver Geronimo Allison to the active roster from the practice squad.
- The Philadelphia Eagles signed tight end Richard Rodgers to the practice squad
- The Arizona Cardinals signed tight end David Wells to the practice squad.
- The Tennessee Titans signed defensive back Greg Mabin and offensive lineman Bobby Hart to the active roster.
- The Los Angeles Rams signed defensive back Grant Haley and tight end Jared Pinkney to the practice squad.
- The Indianapolis Colts signed defensive tackle Antwaun Woods, cornerback Darqueze Dennard, safety Josh Jones and defensive tackle Chris Williams to the practice squad.
- The Houston Texans signed offensive lineman Jimmy Morrissey.
- The Las Vegas Raiders announced that their signing of cornerback Desmond Trufant is official.
- The Denver Broncos elevated wide receiver Tyrie Cleveland from the practice squad.
- The Tampa Bay Buccaneers signed guard John Molchon to the practice squad.
- The Carolina Panthers are expected to sign former Minnesota Vikings returner/running back Ameer Abdullah, per Rapoport.